Welcome to my blog!

The purpose of this blog is to explore my development of scrapbooking techniques. I will also provide reviews of products when I find something great or something terrible, and will show off all the work I enter in challenges and contests. Please check out my Welcome note if this is your first visit.

Feel free to ask questions about any of the materials or techniques shown here!

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think, or follow my blog so you can keep updated!

Happy Scrapping!




Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Let's Scrap 12-28-11 - Kilauea

OK Ladies, y'all need to check out Let's Scrap.

Why?

Well... awesome sketches. Double pagers even (my fave!!)
Fun groups to join (more on that later)
Other fun and challenging challenges
Lots of inspiration
A great bunch of girls!

So back to the groups....

I joined 100 LOs in 2012 thinking it would be a challenge, however when I got down to doing the math...

I do 2 LOs on average in one sitting (estimate, probably more like 2.9)
I scrap at least twice a week
52 weeks in a year

2x2x52=208 LOs I should be able to do minimum in one year.

Does that make sense?

Well... in 2011, I only blogged October til December, and had 70 blog posts (71 actually, but lets make the numbers easy).

October to December is only 3 months or 1/4 of the year.

So in theory I could have made 280 LOs in a year, or about 5 a week.

I am going to need to revise my goal for sure, and I'm thinking 212 should be a good target (12 for 2012), but I'm a little concerned I'm going to run out of photos to scrap... so we will see!

So back to the sketch... here it is:



Note the whole opening door deal on the RHS... snazzy! Why did I never think of this? I have used a few doors before but just to hide one photo, not 6!! LOVE IT!

So then the issue was thinking of where I have a ton of photos I can use. And also the whole photos touching each other and the edges thing.... not so into that normally... but I decided to give it a go.

I thought this was a perfect fit for the photos we took in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park in 2009 on our honeymoon. I take a ton  of landscape photos and then never know what to do with them, and can never pick just one to represent the wonders of the world. So this was the perfect application to have a ton of them included with the very few photos of Will and I. I actually have enough to do one more page.


So my variation on the sketch was that I sort of rotated the left page, but kept the horizontal strip tying the two pages together. I also eliminated the middle elements under the journalling and used one Creative Memories Travel sticker there instead.

I also altered the photo door, adding a sticker and the "off" pieces of the border punch I used for the border on the left strip. That is a new border punch I got for Christmas, and I am loving it. Its a cartridge one so you change the cartridges and away you go. Similar to the Creative Memories one, but available at Michaels. There are a lot of different images available, all different than what the CM one has... so I think I want both lol. 

The alphas are Studio G, and the green, orange and burgundy papers plus the hibiscus papers are all DCWV, while the dark brown cardstock is Recollections and the light brown is from the stash :)


Here is the inside of the door on the layout, as you can see, I hid the landscape photos more inside, and added a little description next to each.



Here is the journalling/embellie spot. The sign at the bottom is a photo I took at the park.

The journalling says

Hiking in an active volcano area was incredible. It did not smell like sulphur, but the ground was black everywhere and amazing exotic tropicals grew in this seemingly inhospitable soil. We explored steam vents, lava tubes and walked around an extinct crater and the active Kilauea. Definitely unforgettable!


1 comment:

  1. Loved coming here from Let's Scrap to check out the detail of your awesome layout. Love that tropical floral paper!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting!