Welcome to my blog!

The purpose of this blog is to explore my development of scrapbooking techniques. I will also provide reviews of products when I find something great or something terrible, and will show off all the work I enter in challenges and contests. Please check out my Welcome note if this is your first visit.

Feel free to ask questions about any of the materials or techniques shown here!

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think, or follow my blog so you can keep updated!

Happy Scrapping!




Sunday, November 6, 2011

HMITM Challenge #183 - Gifts

UPDATE: Thanks so much to the HMITM team for picking me as the winner this week! Good work to my fellow scrappers who also participated, I think we did a great job at using up our stashes  :)


The challenge over at HMITM this week was fab and fun! You had to include your best/greatest gifts, and also the following list of details:
Frame your page with an edge of background paper, a doodled/stitched border or a frame!
Use at least one stamp/digital brush/rub-on
3 ribbons/strings
6 circles
8 brads or buttons
10 flowers
2 elements that bleed off the page
4 crocheted or felt accents

I really love these challenges because they force you to use a lot of your stash you have lying around!

Originally I had a different plan for this LO, but when I couldn't find the photo I wanted, I looked around... and saw Casper sleeping in with all my scrapbooking stuff - his head on a stack of albums and his body on a pile of markers (crazy cat!)

And I realized, they are really a blessing in my life. They make me so incredibly happy when I come home and they missed me, and I love their little faces and attitudes they are developing. I had to put down my cat of 18 years (I had him since I was 3!) which was a very traumatic experience for me, so I shied away from having a cat. Having these kittens though is perfect. They are so much fun and keep me so happy... I think its true what they say that people with pets live longer... I certainly feel less stressed and happier with them as part of our family :)

So here they are... Casper (the friendly ghost) is the black kitten and Precious is the torti.


So back to the requirements:
Frame your page with an edge of background paper, a doodled/stitched border or a frame! - I doodled using Creative Memories templates for the top and bottom of the page with some pink Studio G glitter glue, and then did the sides free hand to "frame" the page.
Use at least one stamp/digital brush/rub-on - I used the kitten footprint stamp everywhere to add a feeling that they had been there when I made it (Casper was, but he was sleeping). I also stamped originally only on the N of Kitten, and then loved how it looked so went back in and stamped a bunch more times on the letters to make them all look walked on. I love this stamp - its of 4 feet and then has 3 other stamps on the other sides (its a cube stamp) including the little fishbone to the left of the title.
3 ribbons/strings - I used my brand new twine I just received in the mail - one to wrap the photo, one for the bow on the CM journalling card (Cheerful pack), and one to underline the title. I see twine quickly becoming my favourite!
6 circles - I may have cheated here - I am counting the 6 "bling" rhinestones in the frame as my circles.
8 brads or buttons -  There are actually 10 total brads in the LO of 3 different kinds - metallics, rhinestones, and the fabric wrapped one on the large flower.
10 flowers - 10 flowers made of various layers of almost all the paper flowers I have
2 elements that bleed off the page - The little kitten footprint stamp bleeds off the page in a few locations... see below for two examples
 

4 crocheted or felt accents - Four of the flowers have brown felt centres


Overall I loved this challenge and I love this final layout even though its kind of cute and juvenile, I think it fits as the kittens are silly babies!

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tory! Fabulous layout!! Love the cat paws all across the page and the glitter doodling. That was such a great idea. The kittens are so cute! Wonderful flowers too. Thanks so much for playing along with us at HMITM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tory! We picked your layout as our winner for this challenge. Thank you so much for playing! I've added you to our winner's gallery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting!